Sunday, July 24, 2011

Cookies Now...Gym Later?

Yes! I did it...I made it to the gym...now that I feel accomplished I think I'll eat more cookies! Sence I can't make them for you, here is one of my favorit cookie recipes so far.

Bourbon-Pecan Cookies
Ingredients (for fifty to sixty 2½ inch cookies)
1¼ cups pecans (170 grams/6 oz)
¾  cup butter (170 grams)
1  cup sugar (200 grams)
1  egg yolk
¾ teaspoon salt
2  teaspoons vanilla (½ vanilla bean, split & scraped)
2  Tablespoons bourbon
2  cup all-purpose flour (230 grams) 
Pecans for finish
Directions
1.       Toast the pecans until lightly browned, watching them closely since they burn easily. Cool the nuts completely before grinding them.
2.       Pulse the nuts in a food processor until they are the size of a coarse cornmeal.
3.       In the mixer cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
4.       Add the ground nuts, egg yolk, salt, vanilla, and bourbon. Making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Mix until thoroughly combined.
5.       Add the flour, and mix until just incorporated.
6.       Shape the dough into a log approximately 2½ inches thick. Roll the log up in a sheet of parchment paper and chill in the refrigerator.
7.       When the log is chilled, slice into ¼-inch-thick slices.
8.       When rolling the log roll it slightly after each cut to keep all the cookies round.
9.       Place the cookies on a cookie sheet.
10.   Lightly brush the tops of the cookies with egg wash.
11.   Place a piece of pecan in the center of each cookie.
12.   Back the cookies at 350°F for 7 to 10 minutes, or until brown on the edges.
I know that there are a lot of directions, and it looks complicated but it’s really not. Toasting the nuts is optional, or you can buy nuts that are already toasted. I’m sure if you wanted to do a drop cookie it would be fine. Just make sure to refrigerate the dough.  To shape the dough into a log, put the soft dough on a piece of parchment paper and roughly mold into a log shape. Fold the paper over the dough and tighten the log by pushing the edge with the side of a sheet pan. I did the conversions myself so it might need some adjusting. I hope you try it out, and let me know how it works, so that I can make any necessary adjustments.
Bourbon-Pecan Cookies
Enjoy!

1 comment: